Illawarra Blue Stars would like to welcome all current and future LANSW Dual Athletes to our Club for the upcoming 2017-2018 athletics season.
Illawarra Blue Stars is the oldest surviving Club on the South Coast and we pride ourselves on providing a relaxed family-orientated atmosphere for athletes of all ages to compete and enjoy this wonderful and diverse sport. We encourage everyone to get out and have a go – from the kids to Mum and Dad, even Grandparents! Our Club has a fantastic record of supporting and encouraging everyone to do their best and set personal goals which are applauded just as enthusiastically as State and National titles.
Our Club competitions run on Sunday afternoon during the Summer Athletics season (September-April) starting at 2:30pm and finishing at around 5pm. Our home base is at Beaton Park in Wollongong at the Kerryn McCann Athletics Centre. This is a newly re-laid synthetic surface and a fantastic track to run on. We offer running distances from 60m to 5000m, walks from 800m to 3000m, all of the throwing events (shot put, discus, javelin and hammer) and all of the jumping events (except Pole Vault). Our program has a 4 week rotating cycle which provides a great mix of repetition and diversity so the athletes can enjoy both variety and the ability to compete in their favourite events. Our age divisions begin at Under 8 and go up in 2 year increments until Under 20. Then we have Opens, 35+ and 50+ for the older athletes. In winter (May-August) we have a track meet at 10:30am on the last Sunday of every month. We have a Club cross country program which is run on most Sundays at 10.00 am at various locations around the Illawarra which can be used as training for cross country competition or as a way to keep fit during winter.
Your Senior Club choice is your own and you can choose any Club you want to regardless of where you do Little A’s. So why choose Illawarra Blue Stars? Apart from the benefits already listed above we also have:
- Top line coaching and mentoring from Senior and Masters athletes. Our Tuesday and Thursday training group is a great environment for the kids and adults alike to improve their running!
- Club run competitions that require minimal assistance from parents, meaning you can come and watch or get out there and compete yourself.
- Club point score for all age divisions. The more you do the more points you accumulate!
- The opportunity to travel as a team to ANSW events such as State Relays, Country Championships and Cross Country Relays. IBS supports these events and we try to put as many teams in as we can (regardless of ability).
- Support for State and Australian representatives.
- A fun, family friendly environment for everyone to enjoy and a sharp looking modern uniform!
WHAT DO I DO?
If you have made the decision that IBS is for you then when you register with your Little A’s club make sure you select Illawarra Blue Stars as your Senior Club. If you chose another and would like to change to IBS then contact us and we can help you make the switch. The last step is to complete our Club form so we have all of your relevant contact details. After you are all signed up, keep up to date on the Club activities on our Website www.illawarrabluestars.com and by liking our Facebook page.
If you have any other questions you can contact our President Geoff Hynoski on 0437 036 013 or our Secretary Valmai Loomes on 0409 307 325. We would love to hear from you and welcome you to Illawarra Blue Stars!